Submission Guidelines (Revised on 8/December/2012)
1. The editors of Gender History invite scholars to submit articles and research notes that are interdisciplinary in nature and contribute to the historical study of gender. Articles should not exceed the following limits: articles, 400 characters x 50 pages;research notes, 400 characters x 30 pages.
2. Only Gender History Association of Japan members are edible to submit articles and research notes to the journal.
3. The journal accept only previously unpublished material.
4. In principle, all articles should be submitted in Japanese.
5. Prospective authors are asked to follow Gender History Style Sheet. To obtain the style sheet, please contact the Editorial Board (see below) or visit the Association's website.
6. Prospective authors are asked to send an A4-size printed manuscript and four other copies to the Editorial Board.
7. The Editorial Board makes a decision about publication after review by referees.
8. Each author will be presented fifty copies of offprint of his or her article or research note.
9. If it involves a heavy outlay to make charts, draw maps, process fees involved with photographs, authors are responsible for the cost.
10. The due date for manuscript submission is January 15 every year. Each prospective author is also required to make a proposal of submission by the end of October of the preceding calendar year by emailing the Editorial Board a tentative title and summary of manuscript, his or her name, affiliation, primary field of study, and contact address.
11. If Prospective authors do not receive a note to acknowledge the acceptance of proposal or manuscript after a week from the submission, contact the Editorial Board immediately.
Submission and Contact:
Gender History Association of Japan Editorial Board c/o Teruko Ishikawa
Faculty of Comparative Culture
Otsuma Women's University
Karakida 2－7－1, Tama-city, Tokyo 206－8540
Gender History Style Sheet (Revised in August 2007)
The language for publication is Japanese, and in principle all articles should be submitted in Japanese. If the author is not a native speaker, the article should be checked by a native speaker before submission.
2. Manuscript Submission
Submit an A-4 size printed manuscript (with figures and tables) and four additional copies (see section 10 for where to submit). There is no need to submit a CD containing figures and tables when submitting a manuscript for review.
3. Kinds of Manuscript
Article/Research Note/Book Review
The editors welcome research notes that provide fresh perspectives on gender history or discuss key issues that will stimulate further inquiry.
4. Preparing the manuscript for submission
The text should be written from left to right. Use a format with 40 lines per page, and with 40 characters per line. Use 10.5 point type. Do not exceed the maximum page numbers given below. These limits include figures, tables, notes, and bibliography.
All of the page limits are calculated using a standard page of 400 characters: For an article the maximum is 50 pages, 30 pages for a research note ,and 16 pages for a book review.
Place a title at the beginning (an author's name should not appear in the text since manuscripts will be reviewed anonymously)
Place “――" before and after the subtitle
6. Figures and Tables
Prepare clear, accurate figures and tables that can be published as they are. Use photocopies at the time of manuscript submission. Place titles with consecutive numbers (below figures and above tables) and attach the photocopies (the parts of text will remain blank) at the size they will appear in a finally manuscript (one, half, one-fourth page, etc). Remember that one page consists of 40 characters×40 lines.
7. Endnote and Bibliography
1) When you cite a source, provide a brief citation in the text by using a parenthesis “( )" and a full citation in 【参考文献】(Bibliography) at the end of manuscript.
A Japanese-language source should be cited as (author publication year, x page); a foreign-language source as (author publication year, xx-xx)
Example: (長野 2000、145頁)(Sedgwick 1990, 47-60)
Use zenkaku (full-width) characters for( )and leave a hankaku (half-width characters) space between author and publication year.
A newspaper should be cited as(『Newspaper Name』○○年○月○日); a journal as (『Journal Name』vol. x、publication year)。
Example: (『東京朝日新聞』1931年9月18日)(『新公論』21-9, 1906)
When you cite sources published by the same author in the same year, place lower-case alphabet letters (a, b, c, etc) after publication year to distinguish one source from others.
A journal article reprinted in a book or anthology should be cited as(author [the original year of publication] the year when it was reprinted)
Example: (長野  1995)
When you cite multiple sources within a parenthesis “( )", use a semicolon “ ; " between the sources.
Example: (長野2000、145頁;Sedgwick 1990, 47-40)
2) Divide 【参考文献】(Bibliography) into a Japanese-language section and a foreign-language section. List Japanese-language sources in the order of Japanese syllabary and foreign-language sources alphabetically. Use 9 pt.
For each source, place the author's or the editor's family name first (if it is written by multiple authors, only the principal author's name should appear). For a translated work, place the translator's name after the author's name. When you list multiple works by the same author, use “――――" (four dashes) for the second work and thereafter.
長野ひろ子 2001 「近世村落とジェンダー・ヒエラルヒー」『歴史評論』611。
―――― 2002 「『誹風柳多留』のディスクール――ジェンダー・階級・身分――」黒田弘子ほか編『エスニシティ・ジェンダーからみる日本の歴史』吉川弘文館。
モッセ、ジョージ 佐藤卓巳・八寿子訳 1996 『ナショナリズムとセクシュアリティ』柏書房(Mosse, George L. 1988. Nationalism and Sexuality. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press)。
Franklin, John Hope. 1985. George Washington Williams: A biography. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Sen, Amartya. 1981. “More than 100 Million Women are Missing." The New York Review of Books. 37:61-67.
When you cite a website, provide the website title, address, and the date you visited it.
3) When you cite additional primary sources or provide explanations, do so in 【注】(Endnote) that should appear between the text and 【参考文献】(bibliography). Use 9 pt. Use Arabic numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) for Endnote numbers.
8. Block quotation
Indent two spaces. Place one line before and after each block quotation. Use “･･･････" to show that you omit some sentences.
Prospective authors will be notified of the Editorial Board's decision about publication around mid- to late March. Manuscripts will NOT be returned to them regardless of whether the manuscripts have been accepted for publication or not.
10. Where to submit a manuscript
Gender History Association of Japan Editorial Board c / o Chikako Kato
Faculty of Education and Human Sciences
Yokohama National University
79-2 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama-city, Kanagawa 240-8501
Tel. 045-339-3436 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
11. How to submit a final manuscript after it has been accepted for publication
1) Authors will be asked to prepare the following items either in MS Word or text format and submit them as email attachments: 1) a final manuscript containing text, endnote, and bibliography; 2) Information about Manuscripts and Authors (the Editorial Board will tell authors how to complete it when their manuscripts are accepted for publication); and 3) an article summary. The authors are also required to send two A-4 size printed manuscripts (the Editorial Board will provide authors with email and local addresses when the decision was made). There is no need to submit a floppy disk. Prepare clear, accurate figures and tables that can be published as they are. Send them (or a CD containing them) with printed manuscripts (be sure to show where these figures and tables should appear in the text).
2) Authors must provide a 300-word English-language summary for a Japanese-language article or research note, or an 800-character Japanese-language summary for an English-language article or research note. It should be prepared as a typed, separate document and submitted with a final manuscript as an email-attachment. All errors must be corrected by negative English writers or native Japanese speakers before submission.